Friday, May 13, 2011

Positivity Shifters

When all is calm, we know what to just what to do.  We can relax, look at life logically, reason with ourselves, and stay on track easily.  But when we are irritated, angry, or depressed, something is missing.  Not only do we not see what to do, sometimes when we are feeling overpowered by the negative space we are in, we don't really even care.  So what do we do?  What is something we can do in that exact moment to get us back on track?  We need a triggering event, but we also need a way to trigger the triggering event!  We need a "Positivity Shifter" to shift our attention and get out of the negative space.  Once we are out of the negative space, things begin to shift and we can start to piece things together.  An immediate signal that can serve as the reminder we need in that moment - that's a Positivity Shifter.  What works for one person may not work for another, but that is why it is so important to hear as many suggestions as possible now, when we are not in the middle of a negative space.  The more we have to draw upon, the better equipped we will be when we need a Positivity Shifter to get us back in alignment.

There are many Positivity Shifters, but here are a few that work for me:
  • Slow, deep breaths
  • Short bursts of physical activity
  • Stretching
  • Listing three things I am grateful for
  • Calming sensory input (smells, music)
 Do you use a mantra?  Count to ten?  Please comment below and share your Positivity Shifters with me!

3 comments:

  1. Loud, really loud music...all alone in the car.

    I have a few stand-by songs: some that are "angry," some that are "uplifting," some that are "tearjerkers," some that are "reflectors."

    Once I "feel/experience" whatever it is that is bugging me...I feel better. That always helps to "shift" my attitude.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cuddle with one of my cats or pet my dog. Few things are better, to me, than the unconditional love of a pet. My pets always make me feel more happy and in remind me to stay in the present moment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a big fan of Doreen Banaszak, author of EXCUSE ME YOUR LIFE IS NOW. After receiving some coaching form Doreen, I have discovered that the most powerful and positive thing I can to do is to accept my state of being. Learning to be aware of what I am experiencing has taken some time, practice and commitiment. Acceptance is becoming my best friend.

    ReplyDelete